Foundation / Corporation
American Thyroid Association (ATA)
01/28/19 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Grants of up to $25,000 a year to USA, Canada, and International individual investigators for research projects related to thyroid cancer and disease. Funding is intended to cover direct costs associated with the proposal, including equipment, supplies, or technician’s salary.
The American Thyroid Association (ATA) is pleased to announce the availability of funds to support new investigator initiated research projects in the area of thyroid function and disease. Topics may include, but are not limited to, Clinical Disorders of Thyroid Function, Iodine Uptake and Metabolism, Pediatric Thyroidology, Thyroid Autoimmunity, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Hormone Effect and Metabolism, Thyroid Hormone in Development and the Brain, Thyroid Imaging, Thyroid Nodules and Goiter, Thyroid and Pregnancy. Research awards are intended to assist new investigators, US or international, in obtaining preliminary data for submission of a more substantial application (e.g. to the National Institutes of Health (NIH)).
GrantWatch ID#: 176954
In 2019 the ATA will be awarding six grants. The American Thyroid Association, ThyCa, and Bite Me Cancer have committed to fund grants in the following research areas: 3 Grants - Any Thyroid Disease or Cancer (ATA); 2 Grants- Thyroid Cancer (ThyCa); 1 Grant - Medullary Thyroid Cancer (Bite Me Cancer and ThyCa).
Research grants of up to $25,000, annually.
Grants will be awarded for up to two-year terms.
Eligibility of Applicant:
1. Investigators must be one of the following:
- New investigator that is less than 6 years from first independent position. Faculty members (MD and PhD) are eligible; however, those investigators who have reached the rank of Associate Professor (or foreign equivalent) or higher are not eligible
- Fellow that is graduating within this year if their institution can provide a written confirmation that the applicant will have a junior faculty position by July 2019. A letter must be submitted with the short proposal.
- Trainee applying for MTC Grant with Supervising Mentor/Faculty. Trainees (postdoctoral fellows, residents, or students working towards an MD or a PhD) that are applying for a medullary thyroid cancer grant with a supervising mentor or faculty member are eligible. A mentor/faculty member’s Curriculum Vitae must be submitted with the short proposal. A mentor/faculty supervisor is not eligible to receive more than one thyroid research grant in the same cycle.
2. Individuals who have been a Principal Investigator (PI) on an NIH RO1 (or equivalent grant) and/or that have received an ATA, ThyCa or BMC research grant are not eligible. Recipients of NIH R29, R21 and KO8 awards are eligible.
3. Applicants must apply for ATA membership by April 2019 or be an ATA member (through 12/31/19). New applicants are eligible for complimentary membership their first year. Select “Research Grant Applicant” when asked “How did you hear about the ATA?” when applying. To become an ATA mentor, go to https://www.thyroid.org/thyroid-association-membership/
Applications are limited to one per individual researcher.
Funds cannot be used for the PI or mentor’s salary.
It is the policy of the ATA that no indirect cost recovery (ICR) is granted and that all funds are direct costs only. Applicants from institutions must obtain a waiver of ICR to receive funding.
Research proposals can be submitted electronically starting in early December 2018 through Monday, January 28, 2019.
The ATA Research Committee will commence their review of the short proposals in February 2019 and invite at least 12 applicants to submit a long application. Long applications will be reviewed in April 2019 and the final decision will be emailed by June 2019.
Short Proposal Due Monday, January 28, 2019 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time
First Round Decisions and Invitations to Submit a Long Application by March 31, 2019
Long Application Due in April 2019
Final Decisions and Award Notifications Sent by June 10, 2019
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://atagrantsandawards.smapply.org/prog/101503/apply/
American Thyroid Association
6066 Leesburg Pike, Suite 550
Falls Church, Virginia 22041
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.